Wondering where to start with your college essays? I recommend starting with your Common App essay. Once you have this one complete, you can use it for other applications. Revising your common app essay to meet the requirements for other applications can save time. You will find most universities will have essay options that are similar to the general themes of the Common App essay prompts. Figure out which schools you are applying to that are not on the Common App and compile those essay prompts. Using the 2016-2017 Common App Essay Prompt list below, you can figure out which essay can be repurposed for your other applications.
2016-2017 Common App Essay Prompts
1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
2. The lessons we take from failure can be fundamental to later success. Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
3. Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?
4. Describe a problem you've solved or a problem you'd like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma - anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
5. Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.
The next hurdle will be deciding what to write about. This decision will coincide with the realization that you have lived a pretty boring life; thanks a lot, parental units.